Water crisis!

As I type we've been without water for 2 dys! We woke Thursday to find there's a problem with a pump in the dam at Grahamstown+the whole town is without water. Furthermore we've been told it'll take 3-7 days to fix as they need a part to arrive from German which means we may have water sometime Sunday if we're lucky but we may not until next Thursday!!

Dom,Jon+I are continuing to buy bottled water from Pick 'n' Pay (the local supermarket) as we've been doing since we found out the tap water isn't safe to drink. And there's a few water barrels at COTT where you can get rain water but again this isn't 100% safe to drink+also they were all empty apart from 1 by the time we were told about them anyway! We have filled up some bottles from this though+are using them to attempt to wash+ 'flush' the toilet,etc. This water wont last forever though so we're using it sparingly.

Today it was 28-32oC's so everyone is sweating as there's no fans or air-conditioning at COTT (apart from 1 air-con unit in the computer room which I'm V. thankful for!). I feel just like I do at Download (a rock+metal music festival I go to every year where you camp for up-to 6dys) in the way that I don't feel clean, especially my hair+you cant even wash your hands properly after using the toilet! Worse still,people shake your hand or hug you during the peace in the Eucharist service everyday!

I have never appreciated water so much as I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment