Discombobulating

During the first 2wks I felt utterly discombobulated! Its really a strange feeling being away from the culture you're used to,family +friends,+all your things. Its like suddenly you dont know who you are,because everything that makes you you is gone.

At the start,being in such a new context my personality wasn't completely displayed -not that I acted differently to how I am, just I was me with the metaphorical (+actual!) volume down. Add to this how removed I felt from the heavy metal 'world', +I wasn't sure what was left,or if what was left was even me. I think it must have been me but somehow a lesser me.

Thankfully since getting used to the culture,I was soon to my usual self.I also found fun people I can be myself with. And with Dom here too I dont feel totally removed from english culture.
Also I've internet access so have contact with family+friends which helps ground me in life outside of S.A.
And I'm also using the internet to keep upto date with heavy metal -though I still feel somewhat removed from it all (despite having music here) since I haven't had any conversations about it for a long time (espec. as I can't access facebook+my mates on their), haven't been to a gig for a while,+was limited what I could pack so didn't bring many metal clothes,etc...I know this may sound trivial to some, but its really a big part of my identity.

It also initially helped a great deal that I came to an Anglican culture -if that was lacking as well as everything else who knows where I'd be!?(not that I need a community to be close to God, but it provided me with something I'm used to+at home within)

So rest assured,while I'm still missing much from home,the essence of George has survived amidst discombobulation!

No comments:

Post a Comment