Cell Phones

At COTT peoples cell phones (mobile phones to us) are always ringing. I'm not exaggerating,I can even tell whose phone it is by the ring-tone,whereas in England I don't even know what Jon's ring-tone is let alone any of my friends! Here their phones go constantly,even during meals,classes+chapel! They are meant to be on silent in chapel though+most of the time are. But in all other occasions the phones not only ring,but are also answered too!! This is as true for staff as it is for students. And we've been in several meetings where staff have answered their phone with no apology,rather they just answer it as if that's the norm which it is here. SMS (text messages to us) are also sent+received regularly. Indeed in many conversations you will hear people saying 'SMS me' or 'I'll SMS so+so',etc.

In contrast I've had my phone off the majority of my time here+only turn it on for 10mins every few days to see if I have any messages -which I don't as everyone knows I'm here. At home I regularly check my phone throughout the day which is pointless really as most days I wont get a single call or text message. It has therefore been liberating not to be frequently thinking about my phone+checking for messages,+so when I get home I'll continue leaving it,though of course I'll leave it on, what I mean is I'll leave it on+if I don't here it I wont go out of my way to check it+I wont worry about keeping it with me at all times like when I'm in Church,etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment