Lectionary

The lectionary (the book that lists which Bible readings should be read at services) they use here is different to the 1 we use.

When you're on Altar Prep you have to mark the relevant pages for the appointed readings. So when I was on Altar Prep at the end of Feb,I had to use their lectionary for the first time. I was rather proud of myself because I managed this without any help!
First I found the right date+then saw that instead of listing the readings like usual it said 'CC 7' + 'Common 7' +I didn't have a clue what this meant! Anyway I soon realised CC stood for 'Common Collect' +so found the 7th common collect (i.e. the prayer for the day) which is in a different book. After some more thought I realised Common 7 referred to 'Common Readings' no.7 which are in the beginning of the lectionay. After finding this, there were 3 different readings for no.7 depending if it was year a,b or c. After working out it's year c in the churches calendar I was able to find all the correct readings!

Later that evening though Kholisili burst into the common room where several of us were watching TV+announced to me 'where did you find these readings?' It was a bit embarrassing as everyone could hear him+he kept going on that I'd done it wrong. I stood to my guns though+explained how I'd found those readings. He was literally gobsmacked to find that I,who have never used a S.A. lectionary before,had done it correctly, whereas he,a S.A., didn't have a clue!! He then apologised a lot+tried to kiss me to say sorry but as you can imagine I pushed him away! After this all were laughing at him rather than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment