Political correctness

I feel it's necessary after my recent posts to note that here it's entirely acceptable to mention that people are black,coloured or white.

I have to say I agree with this. In the U.K. we happily mention that someone is male or female,but are scared to mention that someone is white or black for fear of being deemed a racist. While,of course,it is entirely wrong to be racist or refer to one's skin colour in a derogatory way, it is not derogatory to simply acknowledge a fact -i.e. that I am white.

Interestingly,in the U.K. we don't feel it's necessary to ban all talk of facts about people.E.G. it's fine to refer to one's height, gender,hair colour,place of birth,musical preferences, sporting interests,etc etc; however its not fine to refer to one's ethnicity,sexual orientation,weight if over-weight,etc. I wonder who invented these rules which I find somewhat odd, as, for e.g.,in the U.K. we dont think its ok to mock someone's disability, but it's more than acceptable to mock someone's height (I dont want to get into the issue of whether height could be seen as some kind of disability or not -though it is useful to note that everyday activities are made harder for those of us under 5foot).
However,since there are some who would (+even some who do anyway) refer to such facts about people in a derogatory way, whether on purpose or accidentally,it does seem necessary to ban all talk of such things at all. I wounder if 1dy though in England we'll be able to acknowledge facts about people without being seen as oppressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment