Palm Sunday

On Saturday Jon,myself+Dom joined many COTT students making Palm Crosses for the following days service. This is the traditional activity in S.A. for the day before Palm Sunday+many were V. surprised to here we don't do this in the U.K.

We used actual palm branches which were cut up+then folded into the crosses. We also had to keep the branches+crosses in water so they didn't dry out. To make them you use 2pieces of palms+there are many folds that have to be done in the right order to make the crosses as well as pulling them through certain holes/loops. Jon got the hang of it V. quickly,but it took me a few attempts to get it right on my own,though once I did I was rather proud of my crosses! It was also wonderful to have actual fresh green palm branches for the crosses rather than the ready-made,dried-up brown 1s we have at home! And it brought alive the story of Christs entry into Jerusalem.

The following day was the Palm Sunday service+as we do in the U.K. we started outside walking a short distance while singing a hymn+holding the palm crosses. I really enjoyed the service +realised how much I'm going to miss this when I get home. The way they combine the traditional Eucharistic prayer,incense, marimbas+traditional African singing+dancing is truly inspiring. I particularly like that I am in the noisy corner of the chapel as some students near me bring their own instruments, with Khosi bringing a bell he chimes,Albert a cushion he bangs+Lyanda a drum he hits.I would love to have an instrument to join in myself,but as it is I just sing V. loudly+clap +dance+the like!

Below pics:Me+Titus with palm branches!A few action shots during the making of the crosses. +the start of the service.

1 comment:

  1. Hey George - really enjoying the blog - keep posting. Just for the record, I've made palm crosses at several UK churches - its a really nice activity. you can get the raw palms in the uk, but they're not like your lovely fresh ones. Could try raiding the winter gardens in sheffield i suppose. Also made loads by Lake Galilee, but that's another story...

    ReplyDelete