Hotel Rwanda

During the HOPE Africa week we watched the film Hotel Rwanda. If you’ve not seen it, it’s based on the true life story of a hotel manager during the Rwandan Genocide of 1994 who tried to save people's lives and give them shelter in his hotel. During the Rwandan Genocide, an estimated 800,000 people, mainly Tutsi, were killed by the Hutu extremists.-The situation was slightly more complicated than this but I'm having to simplify it to fit it in a short post here.

It was one of the hardest films I’ve ever had to watch and England as a nation didn’t come off V well in it so I felt somewhat awkward at times sat there –not that anyone said anything though. It really reminded me more strongly how awful it is when we positively discriminate ourselves, i.e. the English government sent people in to save the English but left the Tutsi's, including many childnre, and others there to die horribly.
It’s like, when a news story says something like ‘100 people died in the earthquake, including 6 English people’. I hate that! As if the English people are somehow worth more than the other people and are more important than them. Honestly I really hate it, I would rather they just said ‘100 people died in the earthquake.’ We are all people at the end of the day, all God’s creation, whether Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female, English or African, heterosexual or homosexual, small or tall, academic or industrial, or even those in-between such as transsexual, English Africans, bisexuals, medium built people, etc...I think you get the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment