Maundy Thursday

Like many Churches in the UK, the Maundy Thursday included the washing of feet+the stripping of the Altar, as well as the Eucharist too of course. I was 1 of the officiants leading the service with Fr.Isaias +Dom was on Altar Prep duty again with Titus.

I borrowed a cassock+surplice from Swazi, a student here. He isn't much bigger than me at all +it was only an inch or 2 too long but was rather big in width! Dom had the idea to put a belt around it+this made a big difference.

It was a lovely service+V. moving. I also appreciated a great deal the chance to lead some of a Eucharist service for the 1st time. It felt V. natural +I had lots of positive comments afterwards,from students telling me it was V. powerful to others saying I looked beautiful!

When it came to the washing of feet,the Priest didn't wash 12 peoples feet like I've seen in England, instead everyone's feet were washed by each other. So 1person washed your feet+then you washed the next 1s+so on. It was incredibly moving +during this we were singing joyful songs too. The washing itself wasn't like we do in the UK where you just pour some water over 1foot,but instead you held each foot in turn+gently rubbed water over it. If I heard about this I would've thought it sounded awful but in reality it was fine+like I said,V. moving. It was certainly an enacting of the values of love+service.

After this we had the Eucharist+then the stripping of the Altar began during which Psalm 22 was chanted, the Sacrament was placed in a garden (made the day before by myself+my formation group) +all lights were turned out. This was in such contrast to the earlier thankful+joyful feel to the service. Several remained sitting by the garden in darkness apart from a few candles.

Fungayi remained their all night+students took it in turns to also be there so that at no point was the garden left empty. Jon+I were there from 10-11pm +Dom was there from 6-7am.

No comments:

Post a Comment