Minority Status

It's an odd position to be in being an ethnic minority for the first time. Initially it made me feel slightly uncomfortable like I didn't fit in because obviously I look different+also sound different too. This was an odd feeling since I've spent most of my life not wanting to just fit in! I was very aware though that children would sometimes stare at us+people do mention that I'm white or pale +/or make jokes about it!
E.G.A conversation I had several times with students went like this: 'Where are you from?' ME:'England.' Other person:'What language do you speak?' ME:'English.' Other person: 'What is the weather like there?' ME:'Cold.' Other person:'Oh that's why you're so pale.' ME:'[laughing]Yeah!'And thinking,I'm not pale,I'm white!
Also everyone was fascinated when I was sunburnt+many felt the need to touch it!! The oddest thing said about it was that it was like I'm a snake shedding my skin!!

Anyway the longer I'm here,the more comfortable I'm feeling in the culture generally+so am not bothered now that I obv. look different+I'm even happy for people to make jokes about it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment