College life begins

After last weeks Orientation,lectures began this week for most. Those new to COTT had a second orientation week though with sessions about using computers+writing assignments,etc.We don't have an equivalent at Cuddesdon as it's assumed we already have these skills. Dom+I were excused from this week+so spent the time in lectures+talking with tutors to work out a programme for our time here.

I'll post more specific details next week. Now I can tell you that my time here will include attending lectures, visiting various churches+places to get an idea of the life of a Priest here(e.g. hospitals,townships,etc), +joining in all aspects of community life such as attending (+sometimes reading,leading or serving at) daily chapel services, helping once a week with lunch+ dinner duties (serving+washing up), +joining a formation group. I've also brought some work with me from Cuddesdon+am intending to read a few books I never got round to while at home(so far I've read 'Tend my Flock.Sustaining Good Practice in Pastoral Care' by Litchfield).
As you may notice,this is very similar to life at UK theological colleges. +just like at home,we've been told several times throughout the first couple of weeks of the importance of black shoes when leading or serving at chapel services!!

You may be wandering what Formation Groups are. Well, they meet once a week,include students from various years+a tutor. The idea is to spend time getting to know others+building up a supportive group. My group includes Funguyi+6 other students. The group decide their programme+the tutor simply joins in.We decided on a mix of social events+discussions so next week will walk to town+get an ice-cream+the following week we'll have a discussion on fear. I'm fortunate that my group are keen to help me have a good+wide experience of S.A.+so are arranging for us all to drive one saturday to a local beach+have a braai. On my final week with the group we'll have another braai at college+they want to hear a little talk from me about my experience of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment